Sunday 14 August 2011

How do they make green wool?

The other day my three year old daughter asked me how they make green wool. I tried to explain that they dye it - "you know, like when we dyed the eggs at Easter time". As often is the case, she wasn't 100% satisfied with my brief explanation. So I was thrilled when I discovered this picture book at the library a few days later.

Woolly Jumper: The Story of Wool by Meredith Hooper is a great book that describes the process of how wool is made, starting with the sheep in the field and finishing with the knitted jumper.

The main part of the book illustrates each step of the process and gives a simple description, but there is a more detailed explanation of certain areas and terms - like how the wool is "scoured" and "carded" on the inside back cover. This is written in very clear, kid-friendly language and answered most of the questions my daughter had asked me whilst I was attempting to read her the book for the first time.

I think it's a great book for both children and their parents. I learnt a few things myself and Nina is now keen to visit a sheep farm.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like the perfect book for a knitter's daughter. It seems you may have to buy that one?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails